Portugal

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers

Posted on Updated on

The Grand Priory of Portugal of the OSMTHU met in Arraiolos at the Vespers of Saint James of 2022. The Order was enlarged in quantity and quality. Please welcome Brothers António Q., KTJ; Frederico Galvão, KTJ; Ricardo Salgado, KTJ; Agostinho Seixas; KTJ; Jeff Perry, KTJ and Sisters Anabela Santos, DTJ; Carla Faria DTJ.

O Grão Priorado de Portugal da OSMTHU reuniu-se em Arraiolos nas Vésperas de Santiago de 2022. A Ordem foi alargada em quantidade e qualidade. Pedimos a todos que dêem as boas-vindas aos Irmãos António Q., KTJ; Frederico Galvão, KTJ; Ricardo Salgado, KTJ; Agostinho Seixas; KTJ; Jeff Perry, KTJ e Irmãs Anabela Santos, DTJ; Carla Faria DTJ.

Conferência em Caféde

Posted on Updated on

A Real Associação da Beira Interior, no dia 04 de Abril, organizou uma palestra com
apoio da União de Freguesias de Póvoa de Rio de Moinhos e Caféde, no edifício da
Junta de Freguesia de Caféde. O tema da palestra foi “A Ordem dos Templários –
Caféde Terra Templária”, os oradores convidados foram o professor, historiador André
Gonçalves e o professor e historiador Hermínio Esteves.

Na Mesa estiveram os oradores, a Presidente da União de Freguesias de Póvoa
de Rio de Moinhos e Caféde – Ana Sofia Ramos Pereira, e o Grande Secretário da Real
Associação da Bieira Interior – Rui Mateus.

Nos lugares de destaque esteve o Grão – Prior de Portugal da OSMTH – Paris –
Francisco Moção Leão, o Grão – Prior Ibérico da OSMTHU – Luís de Matos, o Grão –
Prior de Espanha da OSMTH – Magnus Magisterium – Francisco de Miguel Fernández
e o Grão – Prior de Portugal da OSMTH – Magnus Magisterium – João Magro.
Também estiveram presentes o Vice-Presidente / Secretário da União de
Freguesias de Póvoa de Rio de Moinhos e Caféde – Sérgio Silva e a Tesoureira da Unão
de Freguesias de Póvoa de Rio de Moinhos e Caféde – Paula Esteves Dias.

ANDRÉ GONÇALVES:
Iniciou a palestra referindo marcos importantes da história da Ordem do Templo.
Durante os séculos XI e XII, salientou 1095 com o apelo do papa Urbano II para a
reconquista de Jerusalém e 1096/109, período da concretização da 1ª cruzada. Foi na
sequência desta que em 1118 foi fundada, por 9 Cavaleiros, a Ordem dos Templários,
sendo o primeiro Grão – Mestre – Hugo de Payens -, a qual foi reconhecida pela Santa
Sé e o Papa Honório II, em 1128, no Concílio de Troyes. Neste mesmo ano já se regista
a sua presença no Condado Portucalense.

Conforme é citado por Manuel da Silva Castelo Branco, os Templários no século
XIII deram um grande contributo para o povoamento de Caféde e no néculo XVI, por
decisão do Rei Dom Manuel I, Caféde passa a fazer parte da Comenda dos Escalos de
Cima, sempre sob influência templária.

André Gonçalves, destacou outras grandes datas dos séculos XII e XIII a
respeito da Ordem dos Templários, nomeadamente 1139 (obediência exclusiva ao
Papa), 1146 (adopção da capa branca com a cruz vermelha), 1252 (ameaça por parte do
Rei Henrique III de Inglaterra de confiscar terras à Ordem dos Templários) e 1291
(queda de Jerusalém e o início do declínio dos Templários).

Em 1305, a eleição do Papa Clemente V e o “Cativeiro de Avinhão”, abriram
caminho ao processo contra os Templários, tendo o último Grão – Mestre dos
Templários – Jaques de Molay – sido queimado na fogueira em 1314.
Na sequência da extinção da Ordem dos Templários o Rei Dom Dinis I pediu ao
Papa a continuidade da Ordem em Portugal.

Desse pedido resultou um processo concluído em 1319 com a instituição da
Ordem de Cristo, a qual teve grande influência e importância em Portugal, patentes na
presença da sua cruz em vários monumentos e nas bandeiras dos navios que
protagonizaram a grande epopeia dos descobrimentos.

Entre os símbolos Templários/Ordem de Cristo salientam-se a bandeira, o selo e
o equipamento militar e os seus vestígios estão presentes no castelo de Tomar, no
Convento de Cristo, no Castelo de Castelo Branco e a sua cruz encontra-se em diversos
edifícios, nomeadamente, na zona de Castelo Branco.

HERMÍNIO ESTEVES
O Condado Portucale fundado por Vimara Peres em 868. O Condado Portucalense
oferecido ao Conde Dom Henrique de Borgonha em 1095.

Os Templários chegam a Portugal com Dona Teresa de Leão em 1125, 3 antes
da sua oficialização pela Santa Sé e o Papa Honório II. Em 1126 Dona Teresa doou aos
Templários a Vila da Ponte da Arcada além de outras 17 doações. Em 14-IV-1128 Dona
Teresa dou-a aos Templários o Castelo de Soure, local da sede dos Templários em
Portugal até 1147.

Em 1129 Dom Afonso Henriques aparece como Irmão da Ordem dos
Templários. Em 1139 0 Papa Inocêncio II, concede grandes privilégios à Ordem dos
Templários com a Bula Omne datum Optimus. 1147 com ajuda da Ordem dos
Templários e parcialmente com ajuda da Ordem de Cister Dom Afonso Henriques
conquista Santarém, nesse ano a Sede passa de Soure para Santarém.
Os Templários eram notáveis monges / guerreiros que nunca se rendiam.
Em 1209, Fernando Sanches dou aos Templários a Vila Franca da Cardosa, em
1214 o Rei Dom Afonso II dou-a aos Templários a Herdade da Cardosa.
Em 1199 doação aos Templários da Açafa.

Em meados do Século XIV, possuíam um vasto território com as terras de
Idanha à Gardunha, o planalto de Castelo Branco até ao Tejo, Cova da Beira, terras de
Ródão e Vila de Rei.

A Comenda de Castelo Branco: Mercóles, Belgaio, Palvarinho, Caféde, Escalos
de Cima, Mata, Alcains, Escalos de Fundo integrados na Granja da Tolosa.
A presença Templária em terras do actual Distrito de Castelo Branco.

HERMÍNIO ESTEVES
Começou por referir a fundação do Condado de Portucale de Vimara Peres e
núcleo original em Guimarães (868), para depois salientar a chegada de Henrique de
Borgonha que, ao casar com D. Teresa, filha bastarda de Afonso VI de Leão e Castela,
recebeu o governo do Condado Portucalense em 1095.

Os Templários chegam a Portugal com Dona Teresa de Leão, viúva do conde D.
Henrique, em 1125, três anos antes da sua oficialização pela Santa Sé e o Papa Honório
II. Em 1126 Dona Teresa doou aos Templários a Vila da Ponte da Arcada além de
outras 17 doações. Em 14-IV-1128, três meses depois do Concílio de Troyes, Dona
Teresa doou aos Templários o Castelo de Soure, que foi sede dos Templários em
Portugal até 1147, ano da conquista de Santarém, na qual os Templários participaram e
para onde passou a sede da Ordem. Os Templários participaram ainda nas batalhas de
Santarém, Lisboa, Sintra, Almada, Palmela, Alcácer do Sal, Évora e Beja. Em 1129
Dom Afonso Henriques aparece já como Irmão da Ordem dos Templários.
Destacou a importância de S. Bernardo de Claraval na organização da Ordem e
na definição dos princípios básicos que deviam nortear a sua actividade. Foi a S.
bernardo que D. Afonso Henriques solicitou a instalação em Portugal da Ordem de
Cister, cujo primeiro núcleo monástico se estabeleceu em Alcobaça.

Em 1139 o Papa Inocêncio II, concede grandes privilégios à Ordem dos
Templários com a Bula Omne datum Optimus.
Os Templários eram notáveis monges / guerreiros que nunca se rendiam. uma força
militar única, já que um templário nunca se rendia, aceitava a morte como um prémio,
lutava antes pelos bens sobrenaturais do que pelos bens terrenos, como também uma
força moral inigualável. (…) Rodeando o rei os seus mestres e freires-cavaleiros de
elite, instauravam um padrão ético e cavalheiresco incitante e fascinante, na
subordinação dos valores materiais aos espirituais”. (António Quadros, Portugal, Razão
e Mistério, vol. 1, Lisboa, 1999, p. 175).

No início do séc. XIII, no ano de 1209, Fernando Sanches faz «doação aos
Templários de uma herdade que ele chama Villa Franca da Cardosa». Fernando Sanches
seria filho de D. Garcia Mendes, sobrinho de D. Gonçalo Mendes e de D. Rodrigo
Mendes, vultos da nossa nobreza dos primeiros tempos da nacionalidade, descendentes
por bastardia do Conde D. Henrique.

Os Templários foram a primeira Ordem Militar a estabelecer-se e a receber terras na
região (1165). Durante os séculos seguintes, e especialmente durante o séc. XIII, graças
à Reconquista, em que tiveram papel preponderante, foram aumentando as suas terras e
as suas rendas.

Além de várias vilas e aldeias, possuíam diversas propriedades – casais, herdades,
vinhas e chãos – destacando-se as herdades de Vide, Aldeia Nova, Silvares, Cabeço da
Atalaia, Castelo Branco; um chão na vila da Covilhã, onde a Ordem em 1230 possuía já
uma Comenda, um casal em Alcongosta, e duas vinhas, uma em Castelo Novo e outra
em Monsanto.

Em meados do Século XIV, os domínios da Ordem na região englobavam um
vasto território que incluía as terras de Idanha à Gardunha, o planalto de Castelo Branco
até ao Tejo, Cova da Beira, terras de Ródão e Vila de Rei.

Com a extinção da Ordem dos Templários, foi instituída a Ordem de Cristo pelo
Rei D. Dinis em 1318 e confirmada pela Bula Ad ea ex quibus dada pelo Papa João
XXII em Avinhão, em Março de 1319. A Bula foi emitida a pedido do Rei D. Dinis
para que a Ordem sucedesse à Ordem do Templo, extinta em 1311 pelo Papa Clemente
V.

A Comenda de Castelo Branco: Mercóles, Belgaio, Palvarinho, Caféde, Escalos
de Cima, Mata, Alcains, Escalos de Fundo integrados na Granja da Tolosa.
A presença Templária em terras do actual Distrito de Castelo Branco ficou
representada nos seus castelos, que se destacam os de Castelo Branco, Castelo Novo,
Idanha-a-Velha, Idanha-a-Nova, Penamacor, Proença-a-Velha e Ródão.

The Village of Monsanto – Houses are tucked between, on, and underneath giant boulders

Posted on Updated on

IN 1938, THE VILLAGE OF Monsanto was dubbed the most “Portuguese town in Portugal.” Yet at first glance, Monsanto certainly does not seem representative of the entire country. For one thing, most Portuguese houses are not sandwiched between gigantic boulders.

Defined by its landscape, Monsanto hangs off a mountaintop overlooking the Portuguese countryside, with views for miles.The mountaintop has actually been extremely important strategic position since prehistoric times. It’s crowned by the remains of a Templar castle, which was partially destroyed by an explosion, in the 19th century.

The village has hardly changed in hundreds of years, and enjoys distinction in Portugal as a living museum. Due to this standing, Monsanto cannot be changed and has retained its classic village charm.

Its tiny streets wind at a steep grade past red-roofed cottages tucked against mossy boulders. Some of the boulders are actually fitted with doors, leading to structures carved right into the rocky landscape.

While the mountainous town seems a bit unorthodox, it is actually a unique twist on classic Portuguese architecture.

Walking along the cobbled streets it soon becomes evident that Monsanto is a microcosm of Portugal. The architecture even incorporates the Portuguese Manueline style on a number of buildings and a church. While it certainly represents the classic Portuguese village style, visitors will no doubt be more impressed with the cottages built in boulder chic than medieval Romanesque or Manueline.

in atlasobscura.com

Convento de Cristo

Posted on Updated on

A MAGNIFICENT CASTLE OVERLOOKS THE river Nabão. It is known as a convent, but it was built in 1160 as a headquarters for the Knights Templar, the formidable Catholic military that answered to the Pope.

When sovereigns feared the Pope had too much power, they annihilated the Knights Templar. In France, many were burned at the stake. In Portugal however, King Denis I took pity, and instead renamed the knights the Order of Christ. This new order would answer to the King, but was later demilitarized and converted to an entirely religious order.

The subsequent heads of the Order added on to the castle in the centuries to follow. Additions included cloisters, connecting corridors, an aqueduct, and an expanded chapel, not to mention decadent ironworks, paintings, and tapestries. All of these were built in the various prevailing styles of the day, from Romanesque to Gothic to Renaissance. The greatest architectural draw is the Manueline chapel, an ornate architectural style found only in Portugal.

Today, the Convento de Cristo is preserved as a museum. It has been a World Heritage site since 1983. The striking architecture, beautiful gardens, and unparalleled view offered by the hilltop castle don’t disappoint.

in atlasobscura.com

III International Conference “Order of the Temple – Spiritual Chivalry – Templarism”.

Posted on

The Templar Interpretation Center of Almourol (CITA) of Vila Nova da Barquinha promoted, on the weekend of November 13th and 14th, the III International Conference “Order of the Temple – Spiritual Chivalry – Templarism”.

The municipal auditorium hosted some of the best national and international experts on the subject, with speakers from countries such as Spain, the United States, Croatia and Portugal: Luis de Matos (Chancellor of OSMTHU), Carlos Trincão (Teacher and member of TREF), Álvaro Barbosa (Architect and former director of Convento de Cristo), Virgílio Alves (Philosopher and Senior Technician in Public Administration), João Pedro Silva (Researcher and member of OSMTHU), Ernesto Alves Jana (Historian and member of TREF), Jefferson Perry (former -military), José Miguel Navarro (OSMTHU’s Senescal expert in security systems), Lovro Tomasinec (Croatian Order of Knights Templar OSMTH) and Manuel J. Gandra (CITA Researcher and Curator).

The book “Almourol – 850th anniversary of its foundation, in the context of the Order of the Temple in Portugal”, was launched at the event.

Fernando Freire, Mayor of the City Council, and Paula Pontes, Councilor for the Department of Culture, were present at the conference. The initiative also featured the musical animation of Fernando Espanhol, in a medieval music moment.

The Almourol Templar Interpretation Center is the first of its kind in Portugal. It has a permanent exhibition room, a space for temporary exhibitions and a projection room for films on the theme of the Templars. The Library – Templar Archives is also located in the same building, which has a vast literary collection dedicated to this theme, the result of donations from Teresa Furtado and Manuel J. Gandra.

Centro de Interpretação Templário de Almourol; Largo 1.º Dezembro; 2260-403 Vila Nova da Barquinha Tel.: 249720358E-mail: cita@cm-vnbarquinha.pt

III Conferência Internacional “Ordem do Templo – Cavalaria Espiritual – Templarismo”

Posted on Updated on

O Centro de Interpretação Templário de Almourol (CITA) de Vila Nova da Barquinha promoveu, no fim de semana de 13 e 14 de novembro, a III Conferência Internacional “Ordem do Templo – Cavalaria Espiritual – Templarismo”.

O auditório municipal acolheu alguns dos maiores especialistas nacionais e internacionais na temática, com oradores oriundos de países como Espanha, Estados Unidos, Croácia e Portugal: Luis de Matos (Chanceler da OSMTHU), Carlos Trincão (Professor e membro do TREF), Álvaro Barbosa (Arquiteto e ex-diretor do Convento de Cristo), Virgílio Alves (Filósofo e Técnico Superior na Administração Pública), João Pedro Silva (Investigador e membro da OSMTHU), Ernesto Alves Jana (Historiador e membro do TREF), Jefferson Perry (ex-militar), José Miguel Navarro (Senescal da OSMTHU perito em sistemas de segurança), Lovro Tomasinec (Croatian Order of Knights Templar O.S.M.T.H.) e Manuel J. Gandra (Investigador e Curador do CITA).

O evento foi marcado pelo lançamento do livro “Almourol – 850.º aniversário da sua fundação, no contexto da Ordem do Templo em Portugal”, efeméride que se assinala este ano.

Marcaram presença na conferência Fernando Freire, Presidente da Câmara Municipal, e Paula Pontes, Vereadora do Pelouro da Cultura. A iniciativa contou ainda com a animação musical de Fernando Espanhol, num registo de música medieval.

O Centro de Interpretação Templário Almourol é o primeiro do género em Portugal. Dispõe de uma sala de exposição permanente, espaço de exposições temporárias e de uma sala de projeção de filmes sobre a temática dos templários. No mesmo edifício funciona também a Biblioteca – Arquivo Templário, que dispõe de um vasto acervo literário dedicado a este tema, fruto das doações de Teresa Furtado e de Manuel J. Gandra.

Centro de Interpretação Templário de Almourol Largo 1.º Dezembro2260-403 Vila Nova da Barquinha Tel.: 249720358E-mail: cita@cm-vnbarquinha.ptHorário:- Dias úteis: 9h00 às 12h30 / 14h00 às 17h30- Fins de semana/feriados: 10h00 às 13h00 / 15h00 às 18h00(encerra à 2.ª feira de 1 de outubro a 30 de abril).

Templar Grand Priory of Portugal Confers Knighthood, October 2021

Posted on Updated on

The Templar Grand Priory of Portugal (OSMTHU) has met in National Chapter to confer Knighthood. As the Grand Priory still performs the a very long and private ceremony, that follows traditional liturgy, including full vigil and final instruction, just a short glimpse is available in the form of a 1 minute clip. It is also a requirement of the Order that the names of those upon whom Knighthood was conferred should be named. We welcome to the Order Dame Maria de Lurdes Polainas, DTJ; Fr+ António Polainas, KTJ; Fr+ Fernando Miranda, KTJ; Fr+ Fernando Pereira, KTJ and Fr+ Luis Ferreira, KTJ. We wish to thank singer Helena Lourenço for lending a celestial dimension to an already unforgettable spiritual experience.

O Grão Priorado de Portugal da OSMTHU reuniu-se em Capítulo Nacional para conferir a Cavalaria. Uma vez que os Templários Portugueses ainda realizam a cerimónia seguindo a liturgia tradicional, muito longa, que inclui a vigília completa e instrução final, de carácter interior, apenas um breve vislumbre está disponível na forma de um clip de 1 minuto. É também um requisito da Ordem que os nomes daqueles a quem a Cavalaria for conferida sejam tornados públicos. Damos por isso as boas-vindas à Ordem aos novos Irmãos e Irmãs Dama Maria de Lurdes Polainas, DTJ; Fr + António Polainas, KTJ; Fr + Fernando Miranda, KTJ; Fr + Fernando Pereira, KTJ e Fr + Luis Ferreira, KTJ. Gostaríamos finalmente de agradecer à cantora Helena Lourenço por emprestar uma dimensão celestial a uma experiência espiritual já de si inesquecível.

Exultate justi in domino – New Armaments in Chivalry in the Good Land of Alentejo

Posted on Updated on

In preparation for the eve of Santiago and the commemoration of the Battle of Ourique, the OSMTHU’s Grand Priory of Portugal gathered in General Chapter in the good land of Alentejo, to welcome new brothers and sisters, receive the commitment of service from Squires and arm Knights who demand the Order.

Current Covid19 restrictions prevented many of those who wished to join the work from doing so. However there was a very significant number in attendance, ensuring two days of very fruitful work, in peace, serenity and harmony. Until the end of the year, un the hope for improvements in sanitary conditions, the Order will provide the opportunity for those who were forced not to attend, to resume their journey without delay. Their absence was felt.

As in previous years, we do not want to expose to the public ceremonies that are reserved and contain ritual procedures and moments of study and explanation rooted in the richest Tradition of Spiritual Chivalry, in many cases lost in the fog of collective memory and absent in the Templar inspired movements of the nowadays.

After a morning of remembrance of the precepts of Chivalry according to 13th century sources, in a study session led by the Preceptor of the Grand Priory, João Pedro Silva, KOTJ, there was a convivial lunch that allowed us to catch up on long-awaited conversations. since we had not met since the Ecumenical Journeys of Lagos in February 2020. Since then an intense work of online study has been developed in parallel with some initiatives already fixed in our annual Calendar, as was the case of the Conference on Templars and Templarism in October 2020 and the 2021 Ecumenical Journeys, both in a virtual environment.

The afternoon began with the ritual opening of the National Chapter, during which postulants in the degree of Novice were received and a large group of Novices who had already completed their degree passed to Escudeiro. Some of the Knights present contributed to consolidating the knowledge acquired, promoting the necessary reflection for progress in the understanding of Chivalry. A meditation on the Emmaus Way and its meaning was especially poignant, and the afternoon was completed with a reading of traditional texts, including an oral tradition tale of Chivalry fixated in text in the 12th century in Gascony in France, that always leaves a special mark, in the memory of the Squires.

The preparation work for the night vigil, essential for the armament ceremony, began at the end of Saturday afternoon, with the departure from the Convent in procession through the Alentejo countryside to a fountain where the traditional washings were carried out and the spirit was prepared for the long journey that was still ahead, as the ceremony takes place only on Sunday.

Rui Herdadinha, KCTJ, Commander of Arraiolos , was the kind host of a convivial snack that preceded the ascent to the Castle, a moment of interior silence that marks the end of the clear Alentejo day, with the disappearance of the sun, opening the night period during which, in the darkness and uncertainty of the black night, one proceeds to complete vigil, without abbreviation or subterfuge, in hope and anticipation of the desired dawn.

Little more can be added about what followed. The procession descended from the Castle to the Chapter, which resumed its work and proceeded to clarify many points about Chivalry and the Templars reserved only for the most diligent. In the morning, the armaments were carried out following the traditional Ritual, with the Order being enriched with 4 new Knights and 1 Dame. They are the Brothers Paulo Fernandes, KTJ; Virgílio Gomes, KTJ; Bruno Correia, KTJ; Miguel Pereira, KTJ; and Dame Joana Frade, DTJ. We congratulate them and wish that Chivalry, as a tree of firm trunk and roots, may become green again and bear fruit in them.

The 6th Commandery of the Grand Priory of Portugal was also created, the new Commandery of Lisbon – Sait Cathrin Hill, with Brother Commander João Pedro Silva, KCTJ being invested. Brother João took his oath in the traditional way and will begin work immediately.

Sunday’s work ended in a traditional way with the celebration of the Eucharist by the Grand Prior and Bishop Tau Flammula Veritatis.

The Grand Priory is deeply grateful to all the Brothers and Sisters who worked tirelessly to make the Chapter a success, within the strict health regulations in place at the moment in Portugal. Special mention should be made to Sister Susana Ferreira, DTJ; to Brother Fernando Silva, KTJ who irrepressibly performed the position of Master of Ceremonies; to Brother Filipe Simões, KTJ and to the Commanders Rui Herdadinha, KCTJ; Paulo Valente, KCTJ and Victor Varela Martins, KCTJ as well as all those who participated and contributed to another unforgettable chapter in the history of our Grand Priory. Thank you all.

Exultate justi in domino – Armações na Boa Terra do Alentejo

Posted on Updated on

Em preparação para as vésperas de Santiago e a comemoração da Batalha de Ourique, o Grão Priorado de Portugal da OSMTHU reuniu em Capítulo Geral na boa terra do Alentejo, para receber novos irmão e irmãs, receber o compromisso de serviço de Escudeiros e armar Cavaleiros que demandam a Ordem.

As restrições em curso impediram muitos dos que desejavam juntar-se aos trabalhos de o fazer, contudo registou-se um número muito significativo de presenças, assegurando dois dias de trabalho muito proveitosos e plenamente preenchidos pela paz, a serenidade e a concórdia. Até ao final do ano, esperando melhoras nas condições sanitárias, a Ordem proporcionará a oportunidade de que os que se viram obrigados à ausência, possam retomar o seu caminho sem delongas. A sua ausência foi sentida.

Tal como em anos anteriores não queremos expor ao público cerimónias que são reservadas e contêm procedimentos rituais e momentos de estudo e exposição enraizados na mais rica Tradição de Cavalaria Espiritual, em muitos casos perdidas na neblina da memória colectiva e ausentes nos movimentos de inspiração templária dos dias de hoje.

Após uma manhã de recordação dos preceitos da Cavalaria segundo fontes do século 13, em sessão de estudo dirigida pelo Preceptor do Grão Priorado, João Pedro Silva, KOTJ, seguiu-se um almoço de convívio que permitiu colocar em dia conversas há muito esperadas, uma vez que não nos encontrávamos desde as Jornadas Ecuménicas de Lagos de Fevereiro 2020. Desde então um intenso trabalho de estudo online tem sido desenvolvido em paralelo com algumas iniciativas já fixas no nosso Calendário anual, como foi o caso da Conferência sobre Templários e Templarismo em Outubro de 2020 e das Jornadas Ecuménicas de 2021, ambas em ambiente virtual.

A tarde iniciou-se com a abertura ritual do Capítulo Nacional, durante o qual se receberam postulantes no grau de Noviço e se procedeu à passagem a Escudeiro de um grupo numeroso de Noviços que tinham já a sua instrução completa. Alguns dos Cavaleiros presentes contribuíram para consolidar os conhecimentos adquiridos, fomentando a reflexão necessária ao progresso no entendimento da Cavalaria. Uma meditação sobre o Caminho de Emaús e seu significado foi especialmente oportuna, tendo-se completado a tarde com a leitura de textos tradicionais, incluindo um conto de Cavalaria de tradição oral e fixado no século 12 na Gasconha, o qual deixa sempre uma marca especial na memória dos Escudeiros.

Os trabalhos de preparação da vigília nocturna, indispensável à armação, iniciaram-se ao final da tarde de Sábado, com a saída do Convento em cortejo pelos campos do Alentejo até uma fonte onde se fizeram as lavagens tradicionais e se preparou o espírito para a longa jornada que ainda estava pela frente antes da cerimónia a ter lugar apenas no Domingo.

O Comendador de Arraiolos, Rui Herdadinha, KCTJ, foi o amável anfitrião de um lanche de convívio que precedeu a subida ao Castelo, momento de recolha interior e silencio que marca o final do dia claro Alentejano, com o desaparecimento do sol, e abre o período nocturno em que, nas trevas e na incerteza da noite escura, se procede à vigília completa, sem abreviação ou subterfúgio, em esperança pela aurora que se deseja.

Pouco mais se pode acrescentar do que se seguiu. O cortejo desceu do Castelo ao Capítulo, que retomou os seus trabalhos e procedeu à aclaração de muitos pontos sobre a Cavalaria e os Templários reservados aos diligentes. Pela manhã prodecedeu-se às armações seguindo o Ritual tradicional, estando a Ordem mais rica com 4 novos Cavaleiros e 1 Dama. São os Irmãos Paulo Fernandes, KTJ; Virgílio Gomes, KTJ; Bruno Correia, KTJ; Miguel Pereira, KTJ; e a Dama Joana Frade, DTJ. A eles damos os parabéns e desejamos que a Cavalaria, como árvore de tronco firme, possa neles reverdecer e dar fruto.

Foi ainda criada a 6ª Comenda do Grão Priorado de Portugal, a nova Comenda de Lisboa – Santa Catarina, sendo investido o Irmão Comendador João Pedro Silva, KCTJ que prestou o seu juramento na forma tradicional e iniciará trabalhos de imediato.

Os trabalhos de Domingo encerraram de forma tradicional com a celebração da Eucaristia pelo Grão Prior e Bispo Tau Flammula Veritatis.

O Grão Priorado está profundamente agradecido a todos os Irmãos e Irmãs que trabalharam incansavelmente para que o Capítulo fosse um êxito e decorresse dentro das restritivas normas sanitárias em vigor. Especial menção deve ser feita à Irmã Susana Ferreira, DTJ; ao Irmão Fernando Silva, KTJ que desempenhou irrepreensivelmente o cargo de Mestre de Cerimónias; ao Irmão Filipe Simões, KTJ e aos Comendadores presentes Rui Herdadinha, KCTJ; Paulo Valente, KCTJ e Victor Varela Martins, KCTJ bem como a todos os que participaram e contribuíram para mais um capítulo inesquecível da história do nosso Grão Priorado. A todos obrigado.

OSMTHU awarded the Bandarra Grand Cross for Templar Corps International initiative

Posted on

The OSMTHU, a branch of the Templar Order dating back to the early XIX century, was awarded the Bandarra Grand Cross this Saturday for the Templar Corps International initiative in recognition of “relevant services (…) on behalf of Mankind”.

The award was created by the Sovereign Grand Lodge of Portugal under Grand Master João Pestana Dias, as a way of recognizing non-masonic entities that excel in their work on humanitarian, charitable and philanthropic mission based projects. With a strong focus on the historical and philosophical Portuguese Tradition – that includes a 900+ years old association with the Order of the Temple and the world changing XV century endeavor of Discoveries planned and executed by the Order of Christ – the Sovereign GL bases most of their liturgical work on the Portuguese Rite, a re-work of the Scottish Rite blue degrees re-framed around Lusitanian mythological themes. The very name of the award, Bandarra, refers to a XVI century shoemaker who was famous for composing a set of messianic verse prophecies about the end times and the coming of a new age of peace and brotherly love blessed by the Holy Spirit. The motto of the award is in fact “Ens Gemma”, that could be translated as “[the future] being [or entity] [already present] in the egg”, as explained by XX century poet Fernando Pessoa.

Contacted by the Templar Globe, Luis de Matos, Chancellor of the OSMTHU expressed his surprise for the award. “We are only at the start of this ambitious and transforming project”, he said. “It’s very encouraging for everyone in the Order and to all hard working members of the Templar Corps International when our efforts don’t go unnoticed. We hope to be a center for international cooperation and effective work, since, as it’s often said, words are all worn out, now what we need is action. Acta non verba.”

Executive Head of the Templar Corps interviewed for History Channel Documentary

Posted on

The production and filming of a new documentary on “The Civilization of Fear” for the History Channel is currently under way. This week the filming crew landed in Vila Nova da Barquinha, Portugal, where the Portuguese Hermetic Museum was a graceful host for a day long recording session.

The documentary explores the many faces of fear, how it influenced the development of civilization, how it has been used in social, political and religious manipulation and control. how it manifests in every day life and how the future and all the uncertainties of a distopic technological world dominated by algorithms and non-human “intelligence” may become a living nightmare.

Luis de Matos, Executive Head of the Templar Corps spoke about the element of fear in the Middle Ages and how Chivalry traditionally distinguishes between fear and awe, both important for the understanding of the Templars in their crusader context. Professionally linked to technology development, he also made a few remarks on Artificial Intelligence, Deep Web and how Social Media captures user’s attentions and turns it into a commodity.

Prof. Manuel J. Gandra, Director of the Portuguese Hermetic Museum and João Pestana Dias, Grand Master of the Portuguese Sovereign Grand Lodge were also interviewed and gave very insightful and provocative testimony on the theme.

The Templar Corps would like to acknowledge the essential role of member Francisco Mourão Corrêa in organizing the event.

Ciclo de Palestras – A Alma de Portugal

Posted on

No próximo dia 19 de Setembro de 2020 irá realizar-se a primeira de quatro palestras do Ciclo A Alma de Portugal, iniciativa da nossa Ordem em parceria com a Associação Saudade e apoio do Templar Corps. As palestras deste ciclo serão apresentadas por João Pedro Silva, KGOTJ e Preceptor Geral do Grão Priorado de Portugal da OSMTHU.

O ciclo pretende levar os participantes a uma viagem pela história providencial de Portugal, revistando os mitolusismos e mergulhando na sua Teleologia. Será, esperamos, uma excelente oportunidade de partilha e um estudo dos mitos que, escorrendo, fecundaram a nossa realidade, nas palavras de Pessoa. Uma viagem à nossa Patreosofia, conceito extraordinário que nos legou António Quadros.

No cumprimento da parceria firmada com a Associação Saudade, a receita deste evento reverte integralmente para o apoio ao Museu Hermético Português, pelo que a participação de cada um acaba também por ser uma excelente forma de apoiar esta causa.

Inscrição por email enviado para: info.arcana.templi@gmail.com

Ou através da Associação Saudade

Donativo: 15 EUR (por cada sessão) reverte a favor do Museu Hermético Português.

Apresentação em Pdf

 

Tomar – Portugal’s Knights Templar Town

Posted on Updated on

Tomar is a historically outstanding town in the Ribatejo region of central Portugal. Straddling the banks of the River Nabão, Tomar has narrow cobbled streets and a whole host of appealing buildings. It is also home to one of the most important architectural and religious monuments in the country – the Convento de Cristo, former headquarters of the Knights Templar. Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, this magnificent monastery and its associated castle sit in a commanding position on a wooded hill overlooking the town.

The Knights Templar was an elite fighting force and semi-religious order that was founded in 1119, during the Crusades. Under the guidance of Gualdim Pais, the visionary Grand Master of the Portuguese Knights, the order began construction of a castle on the hill overlooking Tomar around 1160. The design of the castle’s famous ‘rotunda’ church was inspired by similar structures in Jerusalem. Each knight took a vow of poverty and chastity and wore a white coat emblazoned with a red cross. Over the years, the Templars spread across Europe, gaining extraordinary wealth in the process – and also many powerful enemies!

By the early 1300s, amid accusations of heresy, the order was finally suppressed. However, in Portugal, the Templars re-emerged again in 1320, reincarnated as the ‘Order of Christ’, but now under the control of the throne. It was thanks to the wealth of this new order that Prince Henry the Navigator (who was Grand Master from 1417-1460) was able to fund Portugal’s legendary maritime voyages. The order’s proud symbol – the Cross of Christ – became the distinguished banner for the country’s great age of exploration and discovery. From the 13th to the 17th century, the Convento de Cristo underwent continuous expansion to become the superb monument it is today.

We entered the castle grounds through the main gate and stopped to admire the outside of the circular 12th century church. After entering the monastery, we realised that there was a surprise around every corner. We counted eight cloisters, the largest of which is regarded as a renaissance masterpiece. There are charming terraces with great views over the countryside, an infirmary, a pharmacy and some gloomy monks’ living quarters.

The interior of the beautiful round church, known as the charola, is the chief attraction. The aisle is circular with a high altar enclosed within a central octagon, and the surrounding walls are decorated with murals of sacred art from the 16th century. This was the knights’ private oratorium and they attended services here whilst seated on horseback!

Just outside the church, the tiny Santa Bárbara cloister has a grandstand view of the chapter house’s amazing ornate Manueline window. This bizarre masterpiece is structured around two carvings of ships’ masts, adorned with knots, cork, coral and seaweed. Although covered in lichen and clearly in need of renovation, these somber blemishes just add to the window’s extraordinary appeal.

A secure supply of water to the complex was provided in the early 17th century by means of a six-kilometre aqueduct. This supreme engineering structure is most impressive where it crosses the steep Vale da Ribeira dos Pegões just outside Tomar. It has two magnificent 30m high tiers of arches and there is a tempting high-level walkway along the top of the conduit – but a painful drop should you stumble and fall!

The ordinary town residents have always been able to enjoy a plentiful water supply from the River Nabão itself.

From Roman times onwards, waterpower was used to drive mills, oil-presses and water wheels for irrigation and industry. The Roda do Nabão is a modern and much-admired water wheel located next to the town’s lovely central Parque de Mouchão. Constructed of pinewood, it is a perfect example of how the force of the River Nabão was used for local economic benefit.

Tomar has many other noteworthy attractions and we began our exploration on the east side of the river at the Santa Maria do Olival, a simple church dating from the 12th century and home to many Templar tombs, notably Gualdim Pais, the Grand Master himself. Plain on the outside and plain on the inside, this is a church with considerable charm and overlooked by most visitors.

Crossing the river using the scenic ‘Old Bridge’ and turning left, we found the Match Box Museum in a shady courtyard of the Convento de São Francisco. It has a mind-boggling collection of 43,000 matchboxes from 120 countries displayed like colourful tapestries.

The medieval heart of Tomar lies nearby and we wandered through its cobbled lanes to visit Portugal’s oldest surviving medieval synagogue. Many Portuguese have Jewish ancestry and Tomar was once the home of a thriving Jewish community. This 15th century Hebrew temple has variously been used as a prison, a hayloft and a grocery warehouse during its long history, but has now been splendidly renovated and is home to an interesting small museum. There are strange upturned earthenware jars set high in its walls to improve acoustics!

The spacious Praça da República, surrounded by attractive 17th century buildings is at the very heart of the old town, and overlooked by the lovely Igreja de São João Baptista. The church has an octagonal spire and two superbly ornamental Manueline doorways. The handsome city hall lies directly opposite and between the two, in a befitting place in the middle of the square, stands an imposing statue of the city’s illustrious founder, Gualdim Pais.

Every four years, the square becomes the centre of activities for Tomar’s most famous cultural event – the Festa dos Tabuleiros. This ancient celebration, associated with the Feast of the Holy Spirit, is actually thought to have its roots in earlier pagan fertility rites. Its highlight is a procession of hundreds of local girls (traditionally virgins) carrying tall ‘tabuleiros’ on their heads. These unusual headdresses are built from loaves of bread, decorated with flowers, and have a white dove at the top to symbolize the Holy Spirit. A local boy helps each girl to support her enormous ‘hat’ as it can weigh up to 15kg. However, these male attendants are not apparently required to be virgins!

One wonders exactly what Gualdim Pais would think about modern Tomar if he were alive today – international tour groups tramping through his beautiful church and young ladies walking the streets with stacks of loaves on their heads? However, he and his fellow Templar Knights would no doubt have been very happy to collect the considerable tourist income for their charitable coffers!

by Nigel Wright in portugalresident.com